Who says you can’t eat good food and still promote healthy eyes? By doing a bit of research and some small meal planning, certain foods may help promote your overall eye health. By incorporating these five foods into your regular diet, studies have shown they can lead to healthier eyes.
- Carrots: This super food has been known to promote eye health and protect vision for years. Carrots contain beta carotene, which is a type of Vitamin A that gives this vegetable its orange color. Beta carotene has been linked to help improve the retina and help other parts of the eye function.
- Leafy Greens: Leafy greens are packed with lutein and zeaxanthin, which are antioxidants that lower the risk of macular degeneration and cataracts. By incorporating these vegetables into your diet, studies have shown they can play a huge role in your overall eye health.
- Eggs: The yolk of eggs have been shown to also contain the antioxidants lutein, zeaxanthin, and zinc. By eating eggs, you can help reduce your risk of macular degeneration. Although the yolk is high in cholesterol, be sure to consume them in moderation.
- Fruit: We all know that most fruits contain big amounts of Vitamin C. it has been known that by eating citrus and berries which high amounts of Vitamin C, it can greatly reduce macular degeneration and cataracts.
- Almonds: Studies have shown that by having a handful of almonds a day, this food can slow down or repress the onset of macular degeneration. Due to the amounts of Vitamin E they contain, just 1 oz per day can make a huge difference.